Formby United Reformed Church is situated in the North West of England and came into being on the Sunday Morning of the 22nd September, 1881 when as the Formby Congregational Church, it held its first service at the Grapes Hotel, in Formby.
From the obvious public support and interest, a permanent Church Building was urgently required and a plot of land, on Liverpool Road, was leased from Mr Weld Blundell, with building starting almost immediately. A memorial stone was laid on the 6th October, 1882. The eventual building was opened shortly after, with the furniture and fittings being made available with donations and gifts from Members and Friends.
Success followed success and in 1888 a "corrugated iron" church in Wood Green, London was acquired after demolition, transported North and re-erected in Formby, on the plot of land in front of the then current building.
In 1934 it was decided to build a new Church building and after much deliberation it was agreed to utilise the existing plot, with the unanimous resolution of the members to proceed.
The Opening and Dedication of the new Congregational Church Building was held on the 2nd July, 1938. In 1972, the name of the Church was changed to the Formby United Reformed Church on the amalgamation of the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches throughout the country.